What Are You Training For?

The question is a common one, especially from those that know your drive and motivation when it comes to sports and fitness. It usually is asked right after "How are the kids?" "How was your last event?" Then you know it's coming, you know they are going to ask. This is where the emotions come in. You are either giddy with excitement to tell them "what you are training for" or you are dreading the question "what are you training for." Giddy, because you are ready to embark on the training journey that you will travel preparing to peak at the precise time of the event that you want to share with them you have committed to do. Or, dreading, because you have chosen not to put anything on the calendar and will miss that day to day grind of focus, accountability and fortitude it takes to be "training" for something. I am currently in the later shoes. There is nothing on my calendar that I have committed to for the first time in 24 months. Each day of those 24 months was precisely scribed out, planned for, and dictated by one or more events that I had committed to or qualified for. So every night I knew I needed to head to bed by a certain time to recover from the current day and rest for the next day of training. My life was planned out every day for at least the next six months in advance for over 2 years. Don't get me wrong, God was good. His hand was on the situation and the experiences I was living. However, I have begun to question the benefit of the continual pursuit of striving for the same experiences over and over. I don't receive a paycheck for triathlon. I receive an emotion. I had to ask myself, do I want to pursue the same experience and emotion over and over again? If I was "training for something," for the same events or type of events over and over again, what new opportunities and experiences would I be passing up? I recently had a client ask me what I thought about them taking their $1000 personal training budget and taking up a new sport by buying a SUP board. Can you guess my response? Go for it! Change it up! If "what you are training for" (which can also be rephrased to "how are you training") has yielded the same answer for the past year or two, hop off the spinning hamster wheel and embrace a new experience. We are what we experience. Who are you and who do you want to be?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wow! What A Ride!

A Year of Living Present

Living Out Our Choices