Things Aren't Always As They Appear

Thursday I was in mile 11/18 on my taper run (every Thursday for the past 6 weeks I have run 20 or more miles). It was about 10:30am and I was on a stretch of road with some shade on the east side. I was running through it, not because of the shade, but because I was trying to be conscious of the camber of the road and run at a different angle than usual. 

The road took a slight incline with a shady peak about 200 yards ahead. At the crest of the peak, with the sunlight glistening through the trees, two people were surfacing on the horizon walking toward me. I could tell from the silhouettes that they were two women, one younger and one larger than the other. The younger girl had her arm woven through the others, with her hand gripped to her upper arm. I was immediately inspired by what appeared to be a younger woman encouraging and walking with the older, larger lady. "I should do that more," I thought. Getting someone out that may not be comfortable or confident walking, either because of size, age or mobility, and help them be empowered by and enjoy the fresh air, nature, and movement!

As the two ladies got closer, their silhouettes morphed to features and details. The younger lady who was holding onto the larger lady's arm was wearing an orange race singlet with businesses and names written in Spanish across her chest. She looked very fit. The older, larger lady, who originally appeared to be the one needing assistance and encouragement, was walking confidentially towards me, and she appeared to be guiding the situation.

Then the picture I had originally set my mind to changed. The younger girl in the race singlet was holding her head to the side, chin lifted, forehead tilted into the lady, and she was gazing indirectely away from the older, larger lady whose arm she held. The older woman was walking about 20 feet ahead of me in my path, poised with confidence and purpose with the young girl entrusted in her arm. It wasn't the larger lady that was being guided. She was actually the guide, the enabler for the younger girl, who appeared to be totally blind.

"Dang!" I said out loud as I passed them. I felt like I had been tricked. My mind created the scenario so perfectly. But it wasn't as it appeared. My mind was wrong. 

As I reflected for the next 7 miles, then 24 hours, then two days on why I had 'assumed' the younger, smaller girl was enabling the older, larger woman, I realized they were in fact empowering each other. It supported my vision that we all need to Get Out and we all need to PASS IT FORWARD! No matter what our abilities, disabilities, excuses, or purposes, we all have the responsibility to assist others pursue something outside their box and Get Out.

As I reflect what my next chapter will be, I want to always keep the visual of these two women close to my heart. Many of you know I have a passion to start Get Out Girl (www.GetOutGirl.com) to be a catalyst for inspiring, empowering and creating opportunities for individuals and groups to Get Out. (Should have about 20 hours/week to work on this starting October 13 ;)

The vision of these two women walking arm in arm, one blind, one large, will forever hold true to me on the importance of each of us to help others to Get Out, regardless of size, age, ability, or disability. We can't assume they can or will do it on their own....because things aren't always as they appear.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wow! What A Ride!

Living Out Our Choices

A Year of Living Present