The Ripple Effect

After I finished the Ironman World Championships in Kona, I went on the search for the "next" endeavor. As much as I love triathlon, if I kept training 20-25 hours a week swim/bike/run, I knew I'd NEVER get the opportunity for other experiences. 

That's when I came across The SUP 11 City Challenge in the Netherlands, ranked one of the top, toughest endurance events in the world. Eleven cities, five days, 220k. Hmmm....what if we created a team and as Ambassadors made this the ultimate paddle event for The Flatwater Foundation, while raising funds, creating mission and brand awareness in the US for Flatwater, and doing what many of us love?

Sounded awesome to me.

Fast Forward to two weeks ago when Mark and Chelsea at Flatwater invited a group of us to create a Flatwater Ambassador Team for the Ultimate SUPporter Challenge to travel to the Netherlands. An amazing opportunity to spend the next 10 months promoting, paddling, and raising $10,000 per team member for The Flatwater Foundation.

In my typical contemplative fashion, I had not pushed "send" on the big commitment/event yet (when I pushed "send" for each of my five Ironman events, I did it alone, silently, in the quiet of my own kitchen, knowing that with the press of that button, I'd just wreaked havoc on the next 5-10 months of my life and my family's ;-)

However, two days ago, I received an email from a dear friend, training partner, and huge supporter of our Dam That Cancer fundraising endeavors for The Flatwater Foundation since day one. Steve and I read her email together, over our kitchen table, with tears welling in our eyes:


Cindy and Steve and Milburn (and I can't copy Steiner:(  )

Ann Marie and Christina just returned from Dallas visiting their very close friend and roommate for many years who was recently diagnosed with leukemia. Melissa is in isolation for a month at Southwestern Hospital and receiving bone marrow tests and chemo to find out just what sub type of leukemia she is fighting. At 33 years of age, an Austin ISD school teacher, is facing an incredible challenge, as you well know. Of course, the emotional impact has been very challenging. 

As Melissa journeyed through her challenges with Christina and Ann Marie, she stopped to say that this wonderful group called Flatwater Foundation is paying for her mental health therapist for 8 sessions. Her insurance will only cover a few sessions, so she was so thankful for the generosity of others. 



My girls immediately said "that's Cindy's charity and part of her work!" They talked about Dam that Cancer and all Cindy and Steve do for that charity....paddling all those miles for Melissa!



I just wanted YOU and STEVE to know, it really is a gift, what you do for others. It's personal...touching a very dear young girl. 


What you do, does make a difference.




Thank you!
With lots of love,
Ann, Tom, Christina, Forrest, Ann Marie, and Rusty



We both sat there silent - and stunned. Every paddle stroke we had taken for Flatwater had its own ripple effect. "We" weren't the only ones doing something for others. Our friends who had sent the email had supported our Dam That Cancer paddles every year. We recently hosted a Get Out Girl PaddleJam for others to paddle for it. Many of our friends and family now donate and/or paddle for the cause. And now, in addition, the fruit of our efforts had a ripple effect through a family, through their kids, to, now, their dear friend.

The mission of Flatwater was derived on the fact that cancer diagnosis' create a ripple effect in families - on numerous levels, one being emotional stability and well being. After reading this email, I was humbled to see first hand how paddling for Flatwater also creates a ripple effect. Here was a woman in a hospital in Dallas, Texas, who was suffering physically and emotionally, and by placing our paddles in the water mile after mile, five Dam That Cancer events, 105 miles, plus our first Get Out Girl PaddleJam, 10 miles, plus Steve and my 26.2 SUP miles/week for the month of May 2013 after the Boston bombings - not even counting the many, many miles of training, playing, teaching and social paddles in between - and here, a single, ill, sweet school teacher from Austin who is dear in the heart's of one of the most thoughtful families we know, is benefitting from Flatwater.

Gulp.

Yesterday it was about 42, 15 mph winds, but a beautiful day. After reading the email the night before I knew I was going paddling yesterday no matter what the weather would be. Melissa didn't choose the day she found out she had cancer. I wasn't going to choose the day to start my biggest fundraising endeavor to date in honor of her - and whoever else the ripple effects of my paddle would touch.

Thank you, Melissa. Yesterday's paddle was dedicated to you. You will be my first donation to my fundraising page. Because of you I committed. I will paddle in preparation for The SUP 11 City Tour in a commitment to raise a minimum of $10,000 for The Flatwater Foundation to support friends, friends of friends...and rippling out to people whose lives I do not even know, but are very dear to those we care about.

I paddled. It was cold. It was very windy. It was not easy. But it was worth every single paddle stroke.

"Send" pushed.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wow! What A Ride!

A Year of Living Present

Living Out Our Choices