When You Realize A Dream

As Steve and I were hustling and bustling while hauling three bags and a bike box through McCarran airport today I was was jolted to a slower pace when I realized that five days ago I was walking the opposite direction heading to one of the events that I thought was just a dream for me - one I had always aspired to do but I never thought I would be able to qualify for.

Now, five days later it's over. I did it. I lived a dream.

Walking through the airport following Steve as he zigged, sagged and jockeyed the rolling bike box around innocent toes, I remembered how excited I was the first time I got a spot to the 2010 70.3 World Championships. It was fall 2009 and Denise Ray and I sat in the bleachers at the Heritage Center HOURS after we had crossed the finish line and when my name was called out we whooped and hollered. I specifically remember Adam, who was announcing at that time, comment "Now that's the kind of excitement I'm looking for." I remember thinking it was 'interesting' that there wasn't more excitement surrounding individuals qualifying for this particular event. I was thrilled...so thrilled I had to borrow $325 from Kso to register for it because I had no idea that I would be awarded a slot!

Two weeks before the event, in the fall of 2010 I qualified again, this time for the 2011 70.3 Championships. And as before, again I was super excited as I had worked harder and smarter to do better this time and I had accomplished that as well.

Then two weeks later and two weeks before the 2010 Championships I had that little bike/car incident while tapering for the event. Dream snatcher.

And you know the rest...and if you don't you can read below and catch up. But the reality is that for three years I have had the 'ews and aahs' over qualifying for ANY Ironman World Championship event. Whether deserved by the IM corporation and their 'little marketing phenomenon' or not, the prestige and respect they have created over these events has worked...at least with me. Regardless of the m-dot phenom, the obvious is that there are some amazing endurance athletes that take part in these events and the thought of being in their company has always been what I thought was an unachievable goal.

All of that being said, for me to have the dawning while scurrying through an airport with my eyes riveted to the ground in front of me watching the wheels on a bike that I had just experienced a goal that I had on my radar for 2 years and was part of my 'wildest dreams' for many years prior - was a huge reality check for me. It made me realize I needed to slow down and embrace the moment. It also left me questioning in what other areas of my life have I not 'closed the loop' with my goals and not done them justice by celebrating - or at least 'smiling upon' the fact that they were accomplished? Just as importantly, what family or friends have achieved goals, whether they be small or large, and I haven't acknowledged, celebrated or created a significant moment to celebrate it?

Goals and dreams are huge, whether they are part of a daily, weekly, annual or, as in now, a multi-year plan. In this case, these championships (as well as Kona) were a dream. Did I dare put them on my radar? What if I never achieved them? What if I kept putting in the work never to hear my name called for a slot? By slowing down and reflecting upon it, I realize that I have hit so many other goals in the pursuit. Goals that kept me getting out of bed every day with a purpose. And the majority weren't training related. For instance, while training, it became important to me to make sure I gave each of our kids a big, beefy, 'real' hug each day. This was a daily goal that was important to me - and of course, the rewards were instantaneous. :-) There were other goals: eating smart, reading positive info daily, spending quality time with Steve (which meant trying not to slip into a coma before 9pm at least once a month ;-), asking myself every morning whose life could I touch, having 30 minutes of quiet time each morning...and these were just daily goals. But they all funneled to loftier goals and dreams which then streamed to my personal purpose.

As we were zipping through the airport the world slowed to a waltz and I realized that I had just achieved a dream. Whether it is an 'in your wildest dreams' or a daily goal of mine or someone else's, it is a milestone meant to be acknowledged, embraced, treasured and celebrated. It also leaves oneself pondering, "now what?" In my case, I have one more stepping stone through Kona before I REALLY get to ask myself that question with some authority :-) but between now and then - and quite frankly even during Kona - I feel that voice inside saying now is the time to 'smell the roses'. We all have our goals and dreams and whether big or small, when they come to fruition, they need to come off the paper into reality where they are more sensory: to feel, see, taste, touch, hear and smell them. Slowing down and taking the time to take it all in is what dream catching - and life - is all about - and certainly a stepping stone to the next bigger and better chapter!

Dream Big!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wow! What A Ride!

Living Out Our Choices

A Year of Living Present