Time To Hear




Today I'm anchoring in

QUIET. 

Muting. Listening. Being still. Hushed. Noiseless. Private.

It's a good day for QUIET. The local boat ramp parks are closed so the lake will probably be a bit more QUIET. I took Steve and Cade to the airport at 6am for a nonstop flight (with 18 other people) to Arizona. The house will be QUIET. We had morning rains and cooler skies move in. The environment is at peace and QUIET.

Today I'm resisting the urge - intentionally - to fill the QUIET space. The temptation is to turn on the TV and see the latest data, hear the stats and ponder the opinions. Plug into the uncertainty and peak my irrational - and rational - fears and concerns. During my run, I had the desire to push "play" on one of my favorite podcasts to hear the opinions of the times from another wellness guru. When I finished running, I went to the dock to stretch. My "norm" is to hit "Spotify" for "today's playlist made just for me".

But I didn't.
Because today I'm choosing QUIET.

And now that I am QUIET, I'm questioning when the last time I devoted a day to attempt it. I'm pretty sure, never.

I'm pretty darn good at filling my mental space with lots of external and internal chatter, tasks, goals, "to do's", and commitments. My world is a kaleidoscope of activity, movement and must-do's until, typically, the only QUIET I experience is when I drop into my pillow at night to an immediate (much to Steve's chagrin) slumber. However, now, as all of our worlds have come to a screeching stop, my time has become more of my own (novel idea) and I, like you, are regaining some choices (but you have to first choose to take them ;-)

Dr. Daniel Amen, a neuroscientist and author I follow is an advocate for a healthy brain. In fact, he goes as far as saying that the way we will make an impact in mental health is to start talking about brain health. I'm becoming a believer. If we took care of our brain health like our cardio and muscular health, perhaps some of our "mind symptoms" would improve. But with that being said, let's just focus on the elephant in the room - the stress, uncertainty and anguish that I'm hearing so many colleagues, clients, friends and family  speak of - with grave concern and legitimacy.

QUIET can help an anxious brain. It can create peace, a sense of personal fulfillment. I'm only five hours into QUIET and I've already discovered it has a personality of its own. QUIET is clarifying, fresh, giving, relaxing, present, honest. It would make a darn good friend! And I'm already experiencing, that if used intentionally, like Blue Mind and #waterismedicine, QUIET can give in return and in the same fluid way, fill the voids.

My challenge to all of us is to find some QUIET. Intentionally. Five minutes, ten, sixty - or a day. Go into it open, receptive and curious. It could perhaps be one of the more natural, alternative forms of stress relief in your day. #quietismedicine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wow! What A Ride!

Living Out Our Choices

A Year of Living Present